I had to resort to Giant (the grocery store) and no doubt I paid more but at this point it didn't matter. I picked the two best dozen I could find, red and pink. I had given Cathleen a beautiful Lenox vase for Christmas that has been sitting unopened in its box in our dining room ever since. It was all part of the plan. Normally she is already in bed and asleep when I get home at midnight but not this Friday. She has been watching all of the back episodes of LOST, trying to get caught up on a few seasons, so that she can watch the current ones with me and Christopher. Several of the kids have been watching too. So when I came in, they were all engrossed in an episode and I carried out my plan in the dining room, trying to be very quiet. I turned the lights off in the dining room and had hoped that she would come down Saturday morning and discover them. I went on up to bed since I had to get up early for my double the next day.
When she came to bed, she gave me a hug and thanked me for the flowers. It didn't matter, it was still Valentine's day, and I was happy because she seemed happy. And she didn't even yell at me for spending the money :)

So, what to say to your best friend and romantic partner, sealed to you for all eternities??? I Love You! I could write or say volumes of wonderful things and not get the exact sentiment across. It is a feeling that I can not express in any way except maybe through the Spirit. I can offer my enduring gratitude and express my eternal love verbally, but it doesn't say what a hug, an expression and a sincere heart will say in person.
When we were engaged, she was in New York and I was in Utah at school. I had her framed picture and very expensive long phone calls almost every night to look forward to. In the present day, on my long Saturdays at work, we talk quite a bit, but we are apart. But I am grateful for the short moments of time when we are together, that I can truly express my feelings without even saying any words. A hug, a kiss, a smile from across the room. Those feelings can't be conveyed over the phone or through pictures. I am so grateful to share mortality with her, to share in the parenting responsibility that we have undertaken, to grow and progress together on our journey to eternal life. She is my best friend and companion and I love her. Happy Valentine's Day Cathleen!

2 comments:
I love you too!
You could qualify for Glen Beck's annual Valentine's Day couple...
You've come a long way, Greg. Even though this commnet was for Cathleen it made me feel very good, too. You two work hard, give much and this is equally important!!
Love you both!!! xo
Post a Comment