Monday, September 15, 2008

Three Men On Horses (Revised)



On a previous post I had a discussion with blogger buddy Adam about the sensitive subject of deciding to have children and he claimed that “wisdom” or “using our heads” should be exercised when making such decisions. It is my contention that man’s“wisdom” and “using our heads” is not necessarily always in concordance with God’s wisdom (in other words, “the natural man is an enemy to God”). And that perhaps less wisdom (using our heads) should be exercised…

My wife and I were discussing the wisdom of marriage, and that if people really understood what they were getting into up front (taking away any knowledge of the Gospel plan), they might think again about their decision. Granted, falling in love is a strong motivator, but we’re talking about conventional wisdom here, falling in love doesn’t fall into that category, in fact it often opposes it.


In reality, marriage and bearing children could be lumped in with other less than fruitful to the natural man LDS practices such as paying tithing, serving others, storing food, keeping the Sabbath day holy, etc. If you use the natural man’s wisdom, each of these would likely hinder your success and progress in this life, just citing survival in today’s worsening economy as one indicator of “success and progress”. For example, a recent story in a magazine highlighted a couple who had submitted to receiving free financial counseling in debt reduction in exchange for their story for the article. The very first expense this couple was counseled to get rid of was their $400/month tithing contribution. That has the natural man’s wisdom written all over it.


Going back to the decision to have children, we obviously know there are many and varying reasons why people might still be having children despite the natural man’s wisdom screaming in protest against it. I imagine much has to do with the natural consequences of uncontrolled passion combined with our God-given innate conscience which testifies that this is now human life and should be protected at all cost.


But you also have those who have a belief system which putteth off the natural man. This system demands sacrifice and requires faith, which is a belief in something that one can not actually see or which is not obvious, yet promises to be for one’s betterment. The woman willingly sacrifices her shapely body (in many cases forever more) to become a birthing vessel, she submits to being horribly sick, tired and uncomfortable and to crown the whole ordeal with a crescendo of pain, and that’s just the beginning. The man commits to providing a part of his earnings, personal time, devotion and to emotionally enduring all of his wife’s hardships and trials without ever having firsthand knowledge for himself of what it is like to be “Mom”. And all of this for the sake of the little offspring who will fill its diaper with smelly stuff, need every amount of help imaginable, rarely ever appreciate anything, eventually think you are completely off your rocker having been duped by your imaginations, and then expect your help all over again when raising their own children all the while acknowledging that while you may have done OK, they will do it much better (did I get it right Mom/Dad?)

Another thought about man’s wisdom is the idea that something that holds its value (i.e. Toyota/Honda) is good or wise and that something that appreciates in value is genius. That which depreciates in value is unwise (politely speaking). God’s wisdom isn’t all that different, but one significant variation is the timeline, God views things with a much longer one, eternal in fact. Mortality is but a blink of the eye so His wisdom requires a much longer term value to merit true worth. We LDS believers are taught that we come into mortality with nothing and that we depart with nothing except our knowledge gained from experiences in mortality and our relationships (those bound for eternity in our temples). Knowledge is therefore a wise investment, acknowledging that some types of knowledge are of far greater worth than other types. Of course there simply can’t be enough said with regards to the value of temple sealings and eternal relationships.


I love this quote by an unknown author: Three men on horses riding through the forest. A man stops them, he picks up some stones and gives them to the riders saying, "tomorrow you will be both happy and sad". They awoke the next morning, the stones had turned to precious jewels. Happy with the value of the jewels, sad they did not pick up more. Our experiences and the knowledge we gain in mortality are like the stones that turn to precious jewels. I am of the belief that those jewels with the most value are directly related to the experiences that we collect as parents. God’s primary role is that of Father (parent), and do we not desire to be like God?


What are the things of greatest value or worth to God? The scriptures most often relate “worth” to the written word (i.e. records that were commanded to be preserved throughout the ages). This sounds like “knowledge” to me. But we shouldn’t forget this one: “Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God” Also this one: “Children are an heritage from the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward”. And here’s my favorite part: HAPPY IS THE MAN that hath his quiver full of them PSALMS 127:5.

I find it extremely interesting that the greatest gift that God has to offer us (exaltation) involves eternal increase. It’s as though He has granted us these procreative powers temporarily in this test environment (mortality) to see how we’ll do, and will reward those who prove worthy of such eternal blessings.


As for people who are unable to marry and/or have children but desire these things, I know that God is a fair God and that he will provide a way. Maybe not here in mortality but somehow he will make it right. I don’t proclaim to know all of the mysteries of heaven, only to know that God is fair and loves us.


Finally, I view parenting as selfish service, if there is such a thing (not to be confused with “self service”). Service indeed (extremely hard work as anyone with teenagers can attest), for clearly these little ones could not make it on their own without help, without mentors. At the same time and in so doing I am hopefully earning my own rite of passage (after grace/redemption of course) to exaltation. And in addition, these children that we serve can become ours forever too, and all of their posterity forever and ever. But is it really service, if the one serving has as much to gain as those being served???

9 comments:

adamf said...

Nice post. Personally, I don't consider any of your ideas here to be reckless. It is all about, as you said, being mindful of where we want to go/what our eternal goal is.

In my own life I have often shunned "conventional wisdom." I really think we agree here, we just may approach it from different angles. You seem to be saying "don't trust in the arm of flesh" etc. while I'm saying "the glory of God is intelligence." Same end result, different angle. For sure though, I am more than willing to change when God's wisdom is different than mine. That is a wise thing indeed. :)

Happy The Man said...

Adam, many thanks for the reply. You are the only person I expected would read this considering its length and depth. These are the thoughts that I've had in my mind and the playground from whence my previous responses were developed.

I desire this intelligence that you speak of. I desire to know a lot more than I do. When I was a teenager I thought I knew it all. The more that I learn in life, the more I realize how clueless I've been and am (just hopefully less and less each day).

I guess the important point that I'm trying to make with this post is that God's wisdom and man's wisdom (as it relates to making choices) seem to often oppose one another (which basically means like in politics that they each think the other is "lacking intelligence"). It is important for us to know which intelligence (or wisdom) we are using when we make important choices in life. If it is God's wisdom that you speak of, then I agree with you 100% and we have essentially been saying the same thing.

adamf said...

Well said. I really do think that our own wisdom can indeed match God's sometime, in fact, I think it is part of our progression.

"When I was a teenager I thought I knew it all. The more that I learn in life, the more I realize how clueless I've been and am (just hopefully less and less each day)."

Exactly! I have a teenage client right now who knows EVERYTHING, and yet, very little. One of my favorite quotes is from historian Will Durant: "Education is the progressive discovery of our own ignorance."

Happy The Man said...

I think that matching our wisdom to God's wisdom is what our progression is all about.

I love your quote, it's exactly what I was aiming to say, only much more concise.

Garity said...

Kris started thinking way too much about it before we got married but a few more blows to his head with a club seemed to work (well that and a nice long talk to the Bishop who told him he was going to kick him out of the singles ward when he turned 30 which was only 3 months away).

Kris and I didn't wait at all for kids.

When it came to kids we were completely done after Jamison. 3 was a great number for us. Within a few short months after his birth, my 3 younger sisters were all unable to have any more children (emergency hysterectomies for 2 of them before they even turned 30! With the youngest sister we still don't know what's wrong, but she hasn't been able to have any children). For Kris and I it was an emotional and quite spiritual realization that we were far from done, that being able to have children was a huge blessing in spite of a nightmare 9 months, and we could easily welcome, provide for and care for many more.

Conventional wisdom here in Mexico City is that you have children, hire a nanny and enjoy your social/work life without the burden of raising the kids and this isn't just something the elite enjoy. We are talking it is the norm for everyone we have run into. I have been amazed by the reactions to me being a stay-at-home-mom from the locals, the other diplomat's wives and the most shocking was from the several maids at the hotel, one of which told me I'd be able to enjoy Mexico City a lot more if I had a nanny.

Some of the other wives from the embassy have made it quite clear that babies and toddlers are not welcome at the social functions during the day (I've already been told that I should get a nanny so that I can be free to attend the 'important' coffees and other social events that the ambassador's wife and her ilk put on and was given a list of nannies who have already passed the security background check)...which is why I will be hosting my own for the women who have their priorities straight. You know me, I'm going to have fun causing problems with this line of thinking.

You say "I also think that our life’s experiences and training in raising children are those stones that will turn to precious jewels and will prove to be of great value to us later in our quest for exaltation" This is why I could care less what these women think of my choices. They may think I'm committing social suicide in the diplomat world but why would I even consider having any of these types as friends? They are more than welcome to bring their children to my home for brunches and see how nice it is to socialize while the kids are going nuts in the toy room.

Thanks to this post (which I have copied and saved to my 'deep thoughts' folder on my desktop) I'm even more determined to find those other women in the embassy who think the same as I do but who have been bullied into thinking their social conections with other wives has an effect on their husband's sucess and networking. I know, makes no sense to me either. Kris says it's all about who you know in the embassy, who's back you scratch and who has the brownest nose.

"To me it seems that we should invest our mortal probation on those things that will have the greatest long-term value." Amen! Family first, and to think this is such a foreign concept to so many! Kris has even told several of his agents that they need to be spending more time at home with their families, that the work day is over and they have to go home. It has been met with mixed reactions if you can believe it.

Cathleen said...

Amen Garity!

Happy The Man said...

Garity, thanks for taking the time to read my ever-so-long post. I think you like me would be less inclined to preach your methods or reasons for having many children, not having a nanny and/or being a working full time mom if people accepted your reasons and left them alone. It isn’t until they start "getting in your face" and start offering their advice that you start to become a little more vocal. Is that a fair assumption?

This entire line of thinking for me has been in progress for a few years. I had been questioned why I would want so many children one too many times. For non-LDS folks, all you have to do is admit that you’re either Mormon or Catholic and that appeases them. They don’t even care beyond that what your reasons are, they just tend to accept that it is a religious thing and let it go. But current trends seem to suggest that it isn’t really a religious thing at all any more, but more of an “insanity” thing.

My greater disaffection came when a fellow LDS person questioned my choices. I thought it was universal or obvious to all, but apparently not. So, I pondered for a long time and compiled my reasons for why I've felt so compelled in my choices.

Of course if I don’t feel that I’m being provoked, I’ll almost always whip out one of the easy answers, “I love children”. Another good one, “Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God”, who doesn’t want to surround themselves with that which is “of the kingdom of God”? Anyone who has ever witnessed a birth can not deny the miracle in it. For me it is as close to God as I have ever felt. Who wouldn’t want to experience that again and again?

These answers at least refute the allegations that our TV is broken. I save the dissertation for only those people who try to impose their opposing advice, counsel or creed.

Kelly said...

Now I get where your "Happy the Man" comes from. Very nice. Do you always think so deeply? It took me three tries to read and think through your post, but I enjoyed it. I am hoping for large quantities of grandchildren some day. lol Do you seriously want a Harley? I hate motorcycles...they are dangerous.

Happy The Man said...

Oh boy. I just re-read what I wrote prior to my revision. Sorry Kelly! I've got to stop blogging during my 3rd shift in the middle of the night, everything seems to make sense but the brain isn't quite firing on all cylinders at that time.

Do I want a Harley, sure why not? Am I pining for one? There are a lot more things I'd rather have. I've struck the whole Harley comment, didn't really fit with what I was trying to say anyway.

Sorry about that. The revised version is better, but probably still confusing, unless you're me.