Monday, August 25, 2008

Faith Precedes The Miracle


Being a man with a large family, the subject of “affording to have babies” has come up over and over in my adult life. People love to use this as an excuse to not have children or to condemn others that do. People don’t attack me (in front of me anyway) for my large family because they for some reason think that I can afford it. They think that I can’t afford a TV (why else would anyone have so many children), but I can afford my children. I in contrast believe that I can only afford whatever God affords me…


In response to the “people should only have children if they can afford it” mentality, I say hogwash. I am not familiar with the "multiply and replenish the earth if you can afford it" commandment any more than I am the "pay tithing if you can afford it" commandment. I believe faith precedes the miracle. Else, if I lose my job after I have had children and I can’t afford them, this logic would suggest that I don't deserve them or I should no longer have them... Are there any guarantees that I should have the means to provide for even myself, lest the Lord (giver of all) grants unto me?


Here is what life has taught me, in retrospect:

It seems that I can associate significant financial blessings with and not long after the birth and arrival of each of my children. However, this did not change the fact that I was laid off shortly after 9/11 due to a steep downward trend in IT spending associated with the economic uncertainties of that time. With employment opportunities scarce and the pool of unemployed competition so great, not to mention having a large family and no income (which would last 14 months), I was forced to look outside of the box from a somewhat desperate perspective, and I came to learn a thing or two.

Thoughts of embellishing my resume and/or exaggerating the truth in interviews came to my mind, how was I going to have an edge? I've never been a good liar (thankfully) and of course this would contradict everything that I believe about decency, so after many humbling months I finally realized that I was going about this job seeking approach all wrong. I was trusting in the arm of my own flesh (my perceived strengths and abilities) rather than putting my faith and trust in my God (giver of all).

My wife and I discussed the financial blessings that I mentioned before with the welcoming of each new child and we postulated that if ever we needed a financial blessing, it was now. We were desirous to have another child but would it not be preposterous to consider such a long term commitment under this current zero income financial state and uncertainty in our lives?

I saw the parallel of this “trusting in the arm of flesh” mentality in my job seeking approach to the proposition of having another baby at this time. The scriptures are replete with these “I will go and do the things the Lord commands” perfect faith stories that we all shake our heads and say “amen” to. Yet in real life we are so easily tempted to run in the other direction in fear proclaiming by our very actions that what we really believe is that those types of miracles could only happen in ancient scripture times.

Cathleen and I were somewhat ashamed to realize that we were leaning toward the “logical” world’s standards (arm of flesh) mentality of waiting for a more prosperous and "convenient" time to have children. We didn't share that same doubt in our youth when we were college students and decided we would have children right away despite having nothing and no actual means of affording a child. We certainly didn't have any good reason to stop trusting God now so why then should we not have a child under these circumstances we reasoned? We repented of that fear and doubt that Satan loves to fill people with and decided that we would exercise faith and put the whole matter in the Lord's hands, job, baby, etc.

Our son (#7) was born on 17th August of that year, in December I had two very good job offers (imagine that, I didn't have to settle in desperation for the first thing that came up, after 14 months I had choices). Coincidence? I don't believe that for a minute!

I find it interesting that these blessings didn't come immediately. They came after 3 more months. I believe that we were still being tested to see if we would have a change of attitude, a decline in faith, a loss of heart. We had a precious new spirit sent straight from the heavens, why would we? I was relishing the idea of having time available to focus on the events associated with this new one. We had hope, we had faith and we were happy because we felt we had made the right choices despite difficult circumstances. But it still wasn't easy, we were tested to the end. And when I say end, I mean the very end of all of our savings, every last red cent to our name (and then some), to the point where we were preparing ourselves to find out what manna was going to taste like.

You know you're completely humbled when ward members and old mission companions of moderate means are anonymously dropping generous amounts of $ in your mailbox because Christmas is rapidly approaching. With a lump in your throat and tears in your eyes you get on your knees and express gratitude and humility like you never have before. Does God answer prayers and meet the needs of his children through acts and services of others? I wholeheartedly attest that he does.

Six years and 3 more children later, we are far better off financially now than we were then, but more importantly we are far more spiritually mature from the whole experience.

So my take on having children is, be married first, and then if you want to see real miracles in your life, and witness for yourselves that Heavenly Father is real and that he has got your back, have them. The more miracles you want to see (and the more miraculous), the more children you should have! This isn’t to say that it will be easy and there are sure to be hardships, trials, tribulations and painful growth, but it will all be worth it, of this I am certain.

There is no logic from the world's perspective to having children. There is no worldly logic to paying tithing. In addition, accumulating food storage and serving others (without compensation) will likely adversely affect your portfolio (in the short term). The world measures success and happiness on a monetary scale and investment in these ways will undoubtedly tilt those scales in the opposite direction by all logical reasoning. God's ways are not measured on a monetary scale. Having children is "being about (doing) God's work". It is not only for the rich and/or the middle class, it is for anyone who truly wants to be doing His work. And where there is a will, there is always a way!

I strongly advocate enlisting in this divine service and I would discourage people to wait until "college educations are saved for". Exercise faith, have babies, witness miracles like you never have before and be truly happy!

20 comments:

Salt H2O said...

Happy,
I see you point, and I agree- at no time have you had children because you expected the government will take care of you.

The US Census service recently came out with statistics that show that women on welfare have a higher birth rate than women not on welfare-

My issue is with those that have children and instead of making personal sacrifices to afford those kids EXPECT their neighbors to pay for them.

The key word is expect.

My thoughts on this are fairly strong due to some relatives of mine. If some one is on welfare- reproducing is a privalege they should have to earn. Not a right that the rest of us should have to pay for.

Kelly said...

Is this a pregnancy announcement? That's what I kept thinking.

Congratulations on your successes, Greg. I wish we had been among the anonymous donors before Christmas back when you needed it. I admire you and Cathleen.

adamf said...

Nice post Happy. I also agree with Salt. Faith does precede the miracle, as long as that faith is tempered with wisdom, i.e. as we are taught in the scriptures (think it out in our minds first).

As for having enough $ for a baby, for the next baby my wife and I have I'm not so concerned about the long-term cost, but rather just the medical bills. We went into the last one with nothing saved up, and have been struggling to get out of debt since (about a year and a half). God rewards those who have faith AND use their heads. :)

Garity said...

Amen Greg.

Happy The Man said...

Salt, I understand your political and social concerns and why you feel strongly about the unfairness of neglectful or irresponsible people. We don't live in a perfect world so there will always be people that abuse and take advantage. Heavenly Father ran that risk when he let us have our free agency with the possibility that bad people will do bad things to good people, yet here we all are together.

Let's further consider Heavenly Father's eternal plan as a model, where the right to have eternal increase will be dependent upon one's works. I don't know that there is a dollar figure on those works and I'm pretty sure that I would not want a monetary scale to be used to measure those works. I mean, what quantity of money would be enough to earn that privilege? If you make the statement, "if you can afford them, then have them", I ask, how much will it take to afford them? Job had 7 sons and 3 daughters and lost everything. By your standards, was he now an unfit parent (times 10)?

Happy The Man said...

Adam, this is new doctrine to me, "Faith tempered with wisdom precedes the miracle". Wisdom is a funny word now because it is subjective. What is wisdom to you may not be to me. God is no respecter of persons and I happen to know that man's wisdom is not necessarily always in line with God's wisdom. By man's wisdom, nobody would ever have kids because they consume all of your time and your money. There is really no practical logic in it.

Furthermore, I try to sort things out in my mind all the time, and then I pray for those things, only to find out that what I thought was best wasn't. Sometimes (usually) I ask for what I want and not necessarily what would be best for me. However, other times I have asked for less thinking that I didn't really need more (always wanting more, but realizing I don't need more) only to in the end have Heavenly Father bless me with much more (I have a specific event that just happened to me that is screaming this is true). I once prayed for my 1 day old son to live, yet he died. Admittedly I also asked that "thy will be done and not mine" and so I can't really complain or argue with the results. I don't know that I can entirely agree with your wisdom comment. In fact, I find that often the more I try to use my wisdom, the further off the mark I seem to be.

I like better, "Faith tempered with works precedes the miracle". I know what you and Salty are trying to say, but I don't know that you are saying it. We should be responsible and willing to sacrifice for the privilege to have children. These are the works. But I think people need to lean more on the Lord, exercise a little more faith and put it to him like this, "I have righteous desires to do thy work in bringing forth children, I am doing my part the best I can, please help me to make it happen". I think Satan wants us to fear, to not have faith. He wants to discourage us from having families, from becoming parents, because it is that very training that will determine our potential for exaltation and eternal increase.

Can I say one thing with regards to your comment? You sacrificed (and are sacrificing) dearly to have your child. I have always had insurance coverage for our births so my faith in comparison wanes to yours. I am however a firm believer that the greater your sacrifice for God's work/will, the greater will be your blessings. This is contrary to man's wisdom, who doesn't understand God's ways. The more I give the more I receive??? I say "Absolutely!" Man wisdom says, "Ludicrous!" I am convinced that you have received great blessings because of your sacrifice. I have read your blogs and I know for a fact that you have been greatly blessed (GRE test results come to mind, many congratulations by the way). I do not believe in coincidences, I believe that the more faith and trust we demonstrate, the more blessings we receive. Miracles didn't just happen in ancient times, they happen even now, that's what the scriptures keep trying to tell us. But we have to exercise the faith first. If you don't believe me, believe him who said, "prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of Hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it" (3 NE 24:10).

adamf said...

I think we are in agreement. Sometimes my own "wisdom" doesn't work out. I think what I meant by Faith AND wisdom was that we shouldn't have reckless faith (and I don't think that is what you were saying based on your comment about works). This scripture in Alma is a good example of the principle I'm talking about: "Or do ye suppose that the Lord awill still deliver us, while we sit upon our thrones and do not make use of the means which the Lord has provided for us?" So basically, I believe we need to use everything the Lord has provided for us (wisdom, works, etc.) together WITH faith, if that makes sense.

In the case of our baby, we had insurance, but it still cost over 3k out of pocket (Mom was in the hospital 5 days). The wise thing to do would have been to save up some money in advance (which would not have even postponed the baby).

Or take the GRE example. I think faith, works, and wisdom were involved. It took wisdom to realize that I needed to start studying months in advance.

I think we agree on this, but perhaps our use of terms differs sometimes. :)

D&C 9:8 - "But, behold, I say unto you, that you must astudy it out in your bmind; then you must cask me..."

adamf said...

Sorry I was going to include that last scripture, but then didn't, and forgot to erase it. :)

Happy The Man said...

What kind of faith do you think it would take to part the red sea??? Personally, I'm thinking reckless faith.

I believe having children is a commandment. I realize there are all kinds of health reasons that would prevent people from enjoying the blessings of having children (including mental health reasons). But I believe that if one truly wants to obey this commandment, and exercises enough faith, then (1 NE 3:7) why wouldn't He provide the way? The same applies to tithing.

My wife says I'm trying to pick fights here and that I've said my peace and should leave this alone, and I will. The title of this post is "Faith Precedes The Miracle". Faith is a powerful thing, and it is a scary thing, but miracles are ours if we have enough faith.

In Sunday School we all identify ourselves with Nephi and shake our heads in disgust at Laman and Lemuel, yet how many of us really have the faith Nephi did? I'm afraid of swords and arrows, and I'm pretty sure that I would have been afraid of Laban and his army. I personally know for a fact that I would have been complaining right along with Laman and Lemuel if I was told by my father to depart into the wilderness walking for days only to then be told to return (twice). Why didn't we take care of that business before we left? Why do I have to go home teaching, are the numbers really that important? Why do I have to go collect fast offerings, aren't those people coming to church anyway? At Ricks College, why do I have to cut my hair, Jesus had long hair (and a beard)? At BYU, why can't I wear sandals, Jesus did?

I'm certainly not trying to proclaim that I have perfect faith, because I don't (by a long shot). But I do know that when I have, I have witnessed miracles.

This whole blog was prompted by a comment, "if you can afford them, have them". I understand why it was said, there are unscrupulous people who will take advantage of and abuse systems. I also understand that we have to do our part (works). But I don't think a blanket statement like this is fair or in accordance with my personal beliefs. If it was, then I would never have any children because there is no guarantee that I would be able to afford even one.

Cathleen said...

As the mother of your nine children, I totally understand what Adam is saying. I have tried to exercise faith tempered with wisdom. When we had Nathaniel after you were laid off, there was much that I studied out in my mind first. I reasoned that having a child at that time was not going to cause any immediate financial hardship. We were already paying for insurance, so all medical expenses would be covered. We were also already paying for the roof over our heads. I had all kinds of baby gear for both boys and girls. I always nurse the babies, so there wasn't going to be additional food expenses.
So knowing that things were mostly "ok", helped me go forward. The rest was put in the Lord's hands. We were living off our savings which would expire eventually. I had to trust that If I did this, that when we really needed the help, the Lord would provide....which is exactly what happened. It all worked out in the end, which it always does.
I don't think that having babies is so noble though, that it should be done without any thought as to the details. We have to be willing to work hard, make sacrifices, plan well....and then put it in the Lord's hands. He wants us to do all we can and then he will bless us.
Unfortunately, there are too many people who just get pregnant without thought (no faith or noble intentions involved). They aren't married, they haven't thought about the child's financial, emotional, mental, or educational well being.
I think your post is addressing a completely separate issue, that of people who can and chose not to or are waiting for "the perfect time".
We have always been very blessed for increasing our family. The Lord has seen to our wants as well as our needs. I prefer to let the Lord decide when the perfect time is, it has always worked out better than I could have ever planned.

Happy The Man said...

That's my woman! See why I married her??? Still not sure why she married me... But who cares, 9 kids later I hope it's safe to assume that she's committed.

What do I know, she does all of the thinking and then I do what she tells me to (I'm not so dumb after all, eh?) When we dated, she from a family of 11 and me from a family of 10, I told her that I wanted 10 children. She said, "so do I". Neither one of us had any idea how difficult that would be, nor how we would be able accomplish such a thing (I still don't, the math doesn't add up). I call it blind faith, we were in love, what else mattered???

She's basically telling me to shut up now on this matter, so I will. If she tells me to delete the blog, I will. She's the only reason I get up each day. She is my best friend and eternal companion. I yield!

Kelly said...

Oh, you two love birds are so cute. You have nine and you both wanted ten. I came back to this post to read the comments to see if it was a pregnancy announcement or not. I'm still not sure.

Cathleen said...

Sorry Kelly....no luck yet. We keep hoping....maybe next month.

adamf said...

Happy - no worries! I can't speak for everyone, but it did not seem like a fight. :) I love these discussions. If you're getting too worked up, lol, then feel free to head back to your debate on the Boss to calm you down. :)

What I meant by "reckless" was not a la the red sea or the flood etc., but more what Cathleen was hinting at, i.e. people who (in this case) have faith, have kids, then collect all the WIC and welfare and foodstamps and health care paid by other tax payers they can get their hands on. That to me is reckless, if they don't use their heads, which God has told us are given to us to use.

adamf said...

Just to clarify, I don't necessarily have a problem with WIC and etc., but I do have a problem when people "expect" or "plan" to use these services. Real faith and works would require a person to do everything they could to do it themselves, THEN put their trust in God.

adamf said...

One more thing, Happy, your comments about listening to your wife really show one of the reasons why your marriage is good. According to research husbands who "accept influence" from their wives have much happier and more stable marriages. Just wanted to compliment you on that most important trait that so many husbands have a hard time with. In the Book of Mormon it is referred to as "easy to be entreated."

Happy The Man said...

Adam, there is so much more I want to say but my wife asked me to let it go. I'm not "too worked up", but I obviously do have a lot of passion for this topic. I am tempted to post a "new" blog that maybe comes at it from a different angle. That way I have let this go and I have appeased my wife yet I can still pound away at what is really on my mind (wisdom... God's or our's?)

Theresa said...

I saw "17 Comments" and wondered what was up. You can't be THAT popular. NOW I see what's up!

My two cents: Kudos on your awesome brood.

adamf said...

Cool! I'm looking forward to it! I already have thoughts about the "wisdom" topic, and am interested in what you have to say.

Duncan Taylor said...

Amen and Amen!!!